Many grateful thanks to Angela duQuesnay-Garcia, of Victoria, BC, Canada for sending these records on Louis Edgard d'Aquin


 CAMP WHEAT, August 14, 1862

 (I have the honor of make the following) report of the behavior of the officer and men of the Louisiana Guard Artillery in (the) late engagement of the 9th instant:

The behavior of both officers and men of this command in the battle (of) the 9th was such as might be expected of men fighting for their homes and liberties.  It would be doing injustice to the others to mention any one for better behavior.  All seemed to have always been under fire.  They behaved like veterans, although this was their first engagement.  Besides, there was no opportunity for individual distinction.  There were none absent without leave, nor could I have made them leave even had I ordered it.

 (signed)  L.E. d'Aquin, Captain.



From the Report of Capt. J.W. Latimer, Acting Chief of Artillery.

 Camp near Port Royal, Va.,

December 25, 1862


Major:  In obedience to orders, I would most respectfully beg leave to submit the following report of the operation of the batteries of Ewell's division in the engagements with the enemy, near Fredericksburg, on the 13th. and 14th. of the present month: 

Early on the morning of the 13th., I was ordered by General Early to take command of the batteries of the division as acting chief of artillery, and I immediately reported to Colonel Crutchfield, Chief of artillery Second Corps, for instructions..................He directed me to take my own battery, under command of Lieutenant W.A. Tanner, and Captain Brown's, under command of Lieutenant John E. Plater, to the relief of some batteries occupying a position near the extreme left of the line formed by the Second Corps, and to report to Brigadier General Pender, whose brigade then occupied this position.  Only five guns were required, and by direction of General Pender I relieved five of the guns at that point by the two rifles belonging to my battery, and the three rifles composing Captain Brown's.  The position on which these guns were posted was not a very advantageous one, but the best that could be selected.  It was a small rising in an open field, with a wood to the right, in which a portion of General A.P. Hill's division was posted, and on the left was a ditch and bank running parallel with the railroad, behind which a portion of General Hood's division was posted.  In front, at the distance of about a mile, were four of the enemy's batteries, with lines of skirmishers considerably advanced in front of said batteries.  We were exposed to quite a heavy fire from these batteries, but gained the position without loss.  My orders were to fire only at infantry unless the batteries advanced, which orders I obeyed, firing only once at them, and the only to cover the advance of General Law's brigade, which was made late in the day.  I was kept constantly engaged at this point from 11 a.m. (when I gained it) until night, repelling repeated advances of the enemy by the use of canister.

 I relieved these batteries that night by Captain Carrington's battery, which engaged the enemy next morning upon the advance of their skirmishers, successfully driving them back. 

Shortly after moving to the left with the batteries spoken of above, Captain d'Aquin's and the Staunton Artillery, Lieutenant A.W. Garber, were order by Colonel Crutchfield to the right of our lines, to report to Major John Pelbam, where they were engaged most of the day.  Not having personally superintended their movements during the day, I am unable to describe them minutely.  Captain Dement's battery was ordered to the front on 14th., where it remained in battery until we marched to this point, without, however, becoming engaged at any time. 

We have to lament the loss of Capt. L.E. d'Aquin, of the Louisiana Guard Artillery.  A more gallant officer or more worthy man never fell upon the field of battle..... He fell nobly, at his post.

 The losses in the different batteries are as follows:

Louisiana Guard Artillery (Captain d'Aquin):  Captain d'Aquin killed, 1 private wounded, 2 horses disable, 1 gun disabled.


The following is from the Confederate Veteran, Vol. VI, No. 4 Nashville, Tenn., April, 1898.  which contained an address by Capt. B. T. Walshe, President of the Army of Northern Virginia Association: 

      "I speak more particularly now of the infantry of that army (the Army of Northern Virginia), but to those named should be added such splendid soldiers as.........Capt. Louis E. D'Aquin of the Louisiana Guard Artillery, the first named killed while commanding his battery at Fredericksburg"